Javascript is not activated in your browser. This website needs javascript activated to work properly.
You are here

Exchange and study abroad

It is becoming increasingly relevant for Swedish social work students to anchor their knowledge of social work in an international context. This in order to further opportunities to work abroad, but also to be able to work and act in an increasingly multicultural Sweden.

As a student at the School of Social Work you have several options to study in another country. Every year, approximately 40-50 students on the BSc programme decide to their work placements abroad. A dozen students every year travel abroad to do reesearch for their theses, usually within the framework of the Minor Field Studies programme, on a scholarship from Sida.

It is also possible to study courses at another university. The easiest way is by applying for an exchange spot. There are central contracts for the entire university, LUUP, with two calls for applications per year. In addition, the School of Social Work has agreement under programmes such as Erasmus, Linnaeus-Palme and NordPlus. These can be applied for thoughout the year. Other opportunities to study abroad can involve, for example summer schools.

Study abroad

The School of Social Work has agreements with a number of universities, especially in Europe. If you want to study at these, you can apply for an ERASMUS scholarship.

To search for courses abroad you must find out on your own what is offered at the respective universities and when to apply. If you are granted a student exchange you will not have to pay tuition fees.

To be eligible you must have completed at least 60 credits. Some foreign universities have other eligibility requirements so it is important to check this before you apply.

You apply to all the university's partner universities via the Faculty of Social Sciences. The only programme that you apply through the university for, is the exchange with the University of California.

Work placements and theses are credited automatically within the BSc in social work programme. During the stay abroad, students are insured through Kammarkollegiet Student UT insurance.

Page Manager:


International coordinator
Anneli Nielsen
Telefon: +46 (0)46 222 94 04
Epost: anneli [dot] nielsen [at] soch [dot] lu [dot] se

School of Social Work
Lund University
Visiting address: Bredgatan 13, Lund
Postal address: Box 23,  22100 Lund, Sweden
Telephone : 046-222 00 00 (switchboard) 
Telefax: 046-222 94 12

The Faculty of Social Sciences | Campus Helsingborg